What other way to dive into the first week of August than with college football practices kicking off over the weekend than with my best guesstimate of how teams stack going into the season. Take it away, Jess. 1. Florida--I think they get by UGA in Jax if defense grows up but explosive offense will carry team til they do.
2. Georgia--Need Stafford to achieve at least 60% passing and for WR's to show up. MoMass the Terrorist is completely overrated...almost as much as Fred Gibson. Defense could be great with Rennie and 9 returning starters.
3. USC--Defense is tops...new QB surrounded by inexperience with only 4 returning starters raises questions. Winner of September 13 Ohio State matchup will be in driver's seat for a slot in Miami.
4. Oklahoma--Best young QB in nation but can they win a big game???
5. LSU--Best offensive and defensive line combo in game today. All new QB has to do is not lose the game to win with all the surrounding talent.
6. Ohio State--Might be the best Buckeye team...ever...can they win a big game? Big Ten games do not count.
7. Texas Tech--Prolific offense...can defense hang in there?
8. Auburn--Defense has a chance to be great...will the Spread Eagle fly in East LA?
9. Texas--I see Texas as the loser of the Red River Shootout with Okie and Texas Tech.
10. Tennessee--The Vols will be a lot better than people think.
11. Missouri--Heisman candidate and Mr. Everything...prolly represent the North in the CG.
12. Clemson--Class of ACC talent wise but never seem to live up to expectations.
13. BYU--Pass happy all the way to the BCS.....if they get by Utah.
14. Virginia Tech--Completely rebuilding the defense...Beamer and Foster are two of the best in the game and will earn their paychecks this year.
15. West Virginia--You cannot tell me they are better than last year with a straight face. It will be the Pat White Noel Devine show until the skinny ass White gets knocked out again.
16. Arizona State--Are they ready to make a run at USC this year? Can hot head Rudy keep his head and can the O-Line protect him.
17. South Carolina--Fighting Spurriers will be great on defense and it will allow the offense to play catch up.
18. Mississippi State--Fighting Crooms are on the rise.
19. Wisconsin--Cheeseheads are paying more attention to Farve.
20. Oregon--Very talented and will make a run.....gotta have plenty of quarterbacks.
21. Wake Forest--Fratty Riley Skinner is back and Jim Grobe is one of the best in the game.
22. Michigan--Lost all time leading rusher, passer and the first pick in the draft. Growing pains but they will beat Ohio State within 3 years.
23. South Florida--Most of the team returns and maybe the second best team in the state. Ouch.
24. Florida State--Gotta catch USF.
25. Nebraska--Pelini will be huge...big improvement this year.